For most people stung by a bees or wasps is a minor irritant. But for those who are allergic being stung can create severe immune reactions and dire emergencies.
Symptoms of Severe Reactions
For some people with insect venom allergies, stings may be life-threatening. Symptoms may include two or more of the following: itching and hives, swelling in the throat or tongue, difficulty breathing, dizziness, stomach cramps, nausea or diarrhea. In severe cases, a rapid fall in blood pressure may result in shock and loss of consciousness.
Anaphylaxis is a medical emergency and can be fatal. If you have these symptoms after an insect sting, get immediate emergency medical treatment. And after emergency treatment, you should ask for a referral to an allergist to learn how to stay safe in the future.
Types of Stinging Insects
- Yellow jackets
- Honeybees and bumble bees
- Paper wasps
- Fire ants
It’s simple stay away! These insects are most likely to sting if their homes are disturbed, so it is important to have nests around your home destroyed.
If flying stinging insects are close by, remain calm and move slowly away. Avoid brightly colored clothing and perfume when outdoors. Because the smell of food attracts insects, be careful outdoors when cooking, eating or drinking sweet drinks like soda or juice. Keep food covered. Wear closed-toe shoes outdoors and avoid going barefoot. Also, avoid loose-fitting garments that can trap insects between material and skin.
Consult Your Allergist
If you have had a serious reaction to an insect sting, make an appointment with us. Through allergy testing we can diagnose your allergy and determine the best form of treatment.
With a proper diagnosis, treatment plan and careful avoidance, you can feel more confident and enjoy being outdoors.